Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Set Up Week!



So the past few days have been set up week here at the porch. We have been going around on IHVs (Initial Home Visits) looking at different possible houses to work on this summer. It has been filled with driving through narrow mountain roads in either Sandy our giant van or Elmer the truck. Its amazing the views that we see on the way to some of these houses. Today especially was cool as even though it was raining, the clouds rolling over the mountains looked amazing.

I have decided to keep up with "Torre's Critter Count" and keep up with all of the animals I see each day. Yesterday I saw a Ground hog, a baby bunny, a few turkey vultures, your standard cows and horses. However the most exciting was the turtle. To those individuals not familiar with the traditions of ASP, turtles are a vital part of the environment here in Appalachia. Staff members have done there best since the beginning of ASP to protect these little critters who seem to find there way onto a lot more roads then you would think. As much as we can we perform "Turtle Saves" and help these little buddies across the road so they can avoid being hit. I had an interesting start to my turtle saving career as I was unfortunate enough to be one of those despicable people who hit those poor turtles. It honestly was one of the worst feelings I have ever felt and my fellow staffers who were in the van with me can vouch for my sudden downcast look. Since then however I have done my best to make amends to the turtle community by going above and beyond the call of duty and putting my own life at risk. Not 1 hour after my act of murder I came upon one such turtle and performed my first Turtle Save. That was only yesterday! Today I was on IHV's in the rain with Chelsea and performed 2 more turtle saves. I have decided that I will not come out of my time of mourning until I perform at least 2 more turtle saves and then I will do my best to go on with my life.

On a more serious note, today I witnessed some of the hardest things to see. One of the houses we visited was a lady living in an old trailer that was in very much need of repair. There were 4 holes in the floor that were barely staying together. They had a leaky roof and only one safe exit from the home. To top it off she had 11 kids living there with her. 11! Here she was living in a home that was barely big enough for her own self and yet she still took on children to look after from those around her. It is amazing the people you meet here in Appalachia and even though they can barely get by them self, they still find it in their hearts to help out their fellow man. God works in mysterious ways.

Hopefully I can figure out how to put up some pics here.

No comments:

Post a Comment